St Michael's, Nowra

St Michael's

St Michael's Church
Nowra (1877)

St Michael's, Nowra is a Gothic Revival church opened on 30 September 1877. The church is built of squared rubble stonework in courses and originally had a shingle roof. The stonework is generally in good condition and despite several additions over the years, the southern and western elevations still indicate the original character of the building.

The style of the church is known as Early English Gothic (1189 - 1307) also known as Lancet which is most marked by the simplicity of its ornament. Early English Gothic elements can be seen in the stained glass window to the western wall, the tall narrow window openings, projecting buttresses, articulated quoins and steep pitched root. The stonework to the western stained glass window when viewed from the outside is a Transitional* style with architectural origins dating back to 1170. (*from Norman to Gothic).

In 1921 additional accommodation was constructed on the eastern end. (The original church extended to the present choir loft.) The addition was sympathetic to the original church, however the shingle roof was re­placed with tiles. Additional stained glass windows were added at this time.

Further additions were carried out in 1958 including the side entrance and sacristy. These unfortunately were unsympathetic to the original design.